Rail User Group award winners announced
Railfuture's annual Rail User Group awards were announced today. The awards, now in their third year, were presented by Christian Wolmar at Railfuture's conference at the University of Westminster.
The winners are:
Category: best website:
- Joint silver award: Trains for Deal/Kent Coast http://www.trains4deal.com and http://trains4kentcoast.co.uk
- Joint silver award: SENRUG – The South East Northumberland Rail User Group http://www.senrug.co.uk
- Gold award: Sevenoaks Rail Travellers Association http://srta.org.uk. The judges commented that it was “easy to navigate, relevant and engaging with latest news, a rail user's one-stop shop”.
Category: best newsletter
- Commended: Friends of the West Highland Lines, which the judges described as "a quality magazine".
- Silver award: South East Northumberland RUG
- Gold award: Huddersfield, Penistone & Sheffield RUA. The judges said it was “engaging, deals with range of topics, addressed to wider community and explains in lay terms, passes 'the platform test'!”
Category: Best campaign
- Winner: Trains for Deal/Kent Coast. Judges' comments: “success in achieving key goal and identifies next steps to continue campaign”.
Category: New Group – The Oliver Lovell Award in memory of the Cotswold Line Promotion Group founder who died in 2013
- Commendation: Friends of the Brigg & Lincoln Lines. Judges' comments: “deserves recognition, look forward to hearing more in development of this local campaign”.
Category: Judges special award
- Highly Commended: SENRUG Schools competition and the winning entry from Hirst Park Middle School. Judges’ comments: “quality campaigning engaging younger generation using one form of social media. This and another entry point to a new Awards category next year! ”
Railfuture's Vice-President and Awards judge Roger Ford said "Judging these awards is a great insight into the ways committed local volunteers can promote and make a real difference to their stations and services. Making these awards on a national stage recognises these achievements and encourages the continued efforts of around 300 rail user groups across the country."
Notes to editors:
Railfuture is the UK's leading independent organisation campaigning for better rail services for both passengers and freight.
Railfuture's website can be found at: http://www.railfuture.org.uk
Follow Railfuture on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Railfuture
For further information and comment please contact:
Bruce Williamson, media spokesman
e-mail: media at railfuture.org.uk
Tel: 0117 927 2954 Mobile: 07759 557389