AreaThe counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, the unitary authorities of Telford & Wrekin, Stoke-on-Trent, and the Metropolitan Districts of Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall, and Wolverhampton.
Recent Campaign SuccessesThe branch has regular dialogue with West Midlands Rail Executive, Local Authorities, Network Rail and Train Operating Companies. These discussions have been influential in the development of....
- Electrification of the Chase Line (Walsall - Rugeley)
- A reinstated Walsall - Wolverhampton direct passenger service, with new stations at Willenhall & Darlaston. (due 2021/2022)
- Regular passenger services to new stations at Moseley, Kings Heath & Hazelwell on the Camp Hill Line in Birmingham (due 2021)
- Redevelopment of University Station Birmingham. (in time for the 2022 Commonwealth Games)
- Provision of an 'Assisted Living Lounge' at New Street Station.
Current Active Campaigns
- A 'One Station' concept, linking Birmingham New St, Moor St, and the new HS2 station at Curzon Street.
- New local services and stations at Fort Parkway & Castle Bromwich on the Water Orton line.
- Earlier trains serving Birmingham Airport, seven days a week.
- Reopening of the Lichfield to Burton line to passenger services, including a new station at Alrewas serving the National Arboretum Centre.
- Improved capacity on the Birmingham - Worcester/Hereford lines.
Longer term goals
- Reinstating the Stourbridge - Dudley - Walsall - Lichfield line to relieve heavy congestion on the existing Black Country rail & road networks.
- Completion of 'double tracking' between Coventry & Leamington Spa, creating additional local & Cross country capacity.
- Reconnect Ironbridge to the main line at Madeley, to cater for extensive new housing development.
- Electrification of lines through Birmingham Snow Hill.
- Reinstatement of direct Coventry - Leicester services, avoiding Nuneaton station.
Branch eNewsClick view or download to see West Midlands Branch April 2019 eNews. (247Kb)
BRANCH COMMITTEE MEETING: Wednesday 10th July 2019, Chiltern Railways meeting room, platform 3, Moor St Station, Birmingham B4 7UL. Commencing 6pm, all members welcome as observers. (please inform branch secretary in advance of your intention to attend)
Click events for regional and national events for rail campaigners, including Railfuture and other conferences.
Annual General Meeting 2019 - Saturday, April 27th
The 2019 branch AGM took place at the Priory Rooms, Bull Street, Birmingham, on 27th April, and was attended by approximately 30 members.
In the business section, the following were elected to the committee; Steve Wright (Chair), Colin Major (Secretary), Michael Tombs (Treasurer), Phil Bennion, Steve Boulding, Peter Kennard, Roger King, and Peter Rowland. This leaves us with two vacancies, and in particular we would welcome on board members from the Black Country, and North Staffs to bring the committee up to full strength.
Following on was a presentation from Peter Sargant, Head of Rail Development at the West Midlands Rail Executive. His presentation was a summary of rail plans in the West Midlands covering the next 30 years, and was based on the WMRE Investment Strategy Document dated January 2019.
view or download the document. (9.18MB)
Branch contactsBranch Chairman & Local Media Contact - Steve Wright - steve.wright at railfuture.org.uk
Branch Secretary - colin.major at railfuture.org.uk
General Enquiries - westmidlands at railfuture.org.uk
West Midlands Rail user groupsRail user groups in the West Midlands are shown on Railfuture's Regional List of Rail User Groups, which can be viewed or downloaded (860kb PDF document, dated July 2017).
Branch NewslettersGo to the Dashboard for West Midlands to read archived issues of the West Midlands Branch eNewsletters.
Other documentsReport of visit to Tyseley Depot on 11th June 2018.This meeting with West Midlands Trains was to discuss their new rolling stock. Read Branch Secretary Colin Major's notes here.
West Midlands Rail Franchise for 2017 - view or download our consultation response.
West Midlands and Chilterns Route Study (July 2016) - view or download our consultation response (254kB).
Railfuture - The independent campaign for a better passenger and freight rail network
We need you - Join us!
Please go to the Join page to become a member of Railfuture.