AreaCounties of Cumbria and Lancashire, the unitary authorities of Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Cheshire East, Cheshire West & Chester, Halton, and Warrington, and the Metropolitan Districts of Bolton, Bury, Knowsley, Liverpool, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, St. Helens, Salford, Sefton, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and Wirral
Meeting - JOINT MEETING POSTPONED DUE TO CORONA VIRUS.The Joint Meeting with the Yorkshire branch, planned for the 4th April in Huddersfield has been POSTPONED, its possible that we will hold a joint meeting with the Yorkshire branch via Zoom on 7th November, details to be confirmed.
Due to the pandemic, there are presently no planned face to face branch committee meetings though this is under constant review with the changing situation, do please check here.
For details of future meetings, please contact either the chair, vice chair or secretary of Railfuture North West through the shared email address northwest at railfuture.org.uk.
Current campaignsRailfuture have launched a Northern Powerhouse campaign for improved services that can be achieved now within current constraints, and that can be achieved in future through a coordinated investment programme, to turn the great Northern cities of Liverpool, Preston, Manchester, Sheffield, Bradford, Leeds and Hull into a single strategic economic entity linked by a fast high capacity rail network to realise the economic potential of the region as a global powerhouse.
Specific local campaigns include:
- Two trains per hour on the Mid-Cheshire line
- Re-opening the line between Skipton and Colne SELRAP. Also note the news here regarding the Governments announcement of study into re-opening.
- Re-opening of the Keswick Railway between Penrith and Keswick
- A new line and station to get the town of Skelmersdale back on the rail network
- A reliable enhanced service on the Wrexham-Bidston Line, a new station serving Deeside Industrial Park and the introduction of through trains to Liverpool as soon as suitable rolling stock becomes available.
- Daily passenger services between Clitheroe and Hellifield, probably to be achieved by the introduction of through services to Manchester that the Friends of the Settle Carlisle Line group wants to see
- After a further delay due to stock shortages, services over the Halton curve should now start in May this year after works were completed (following a concerted campaign from North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG))
- Re-opening of the current freight only Northwich - Sandbach line, to include a new station at Middlewich. Following much hard work by Mid Cheshire Rail Users Association (MCRUA) and others, the Department for Transport is set to examine reopening the Mid Cheshire Rail Link (the current freight-only line from Sandbach to Northwich) with business leaders, following pressure from the Government’s deputy chief whip. A working group is set to be formed by the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and officials from the DfT at the request of Paul Maynard, (previously rail minister), after lobbying from Tatton MP Esther McVey.
Branch NewsletterLatest Rail North West view or download PDF 1.0MB]
Rail user groups
- Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users’ Association
- Chinley & Buxworth Transport Group
- Copeland Rail User Group
- Friends of Denton Station
- Friends of Goostrey Station
- Furness Line Action Group
- Goyt Valley Rail Users’ Association (Stockport)
- Lakes Line Rail User Group
- Lancaster and Skipton Rail Users’ Group
- Friends of Littleborough Stations (Lancashire)
- Mid Cheshire Rail Users’ Association (MCRUA)
- North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG)
- Ormskirk, Preston and Southport Travellers Association (OPSTA)
- Friends of Reddish South Station
- Ribble Valley Rail
- Shrewsbury-Chester Rail Users’ Association
- Skipton-East Lancashire Railway Action Partnership (SELRAP) (reopening campaign)
- Wirral Transport Users’ Association
- Wrexham-Bidston Rail Users Association
EventsRailfuture and other regional and national events, including conferences and key campaign dates.
Branch contactsPLEASE NOTE THE BRANCH DOES NOT HAVE A MEDIA SPOKESPERSON AND IS UNABLE TO ANSWER MEDIA QUERIES.
Trevor Bishop, Branch Chairman
Tel. 0161 485 8426. Email: trevor.bishop at railfuture.org.uk
Malcolm Conway, Vice Chairman
58, Greengate Lane
Tel: 01539 725995. Email: malcolm.conway at railfuture.org.uk